Course Dates: 8-10 Jan. 2024
The Center for Deployment Psychology’s Pathways to Military Internships - The Winter Institute extends a unique training opportunity to more doctoral students by providing the curriculum online. The Winter Institute is a three-day course designed to raise doctoral students’ awareness of what it would be like to serve as a psychologist in the Armed Forces and to increase their competitiveness for a military internship. The course is:
- Hosted online through Zoom
- Offered at no cost
- Intended for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year doctoral students in clinical or counseling psychology
- Aimed at students exploring the idea of applying to a military internship at one of the ten training programs located throughout the U.S. Army, Navy, and Air Force
- A program that will strengthen trainees’ backgrounds in military behavioral health as they gain first-hand knowledge of military culture and the work of military psychologists who treat active duty service members
Through online didactics, panels, and group discussions led by CDP faculty and experts in the field, participants learn about:
- Types of clinical and assessment opportunities for military psychologists
- The warrior ethos, deployment cycle stress, military family challenges and resilience
- The opportunity to explore situations that may expose military psychologists to unique ethical challenges faced by providers working in DoD settings
- Clinical problems experienced by service members and interventions used at military clinics
Highlights of the course include:
- A chance to interact with psychologists from different branches of the military
- A panel discussion with Training Directors from each of the service branches where students can ask questions about military internships
- A discussion of military life experiences for those with family members
Please note: Students may apply to either, but cannot attend both The Summer Institute and The Winter Institute. Course content and key objectives overlap. If students are not accepted to a course, they can choose to apply to the other course or to re-apply to a future iteration of that course.
The Application period has closed.
Questions can be emailed to Hakimah Campbell at firstname.lastname@example.org.