Throughout September, the CDP will be observing Suicide Prevention Month and has many events planned to raise awareness. In addition to our existing resources on suicide prevention, in the coming weeks, look for blogs on warning signs, the Chaplains-CARE Program, a Navy suicide prevention program and more.
We're also offering multiple live online training opportunities this month, including webinars and two-day training events. These are listed below and on our Upcoming Training Calendar. We hope that you will return to our site several times during the month to check out all of the content we'll be rolling out!
|Risk Factors||Safety Planning||Myths & Facts||Suicide Rates|
During the month, CDP staff will be contributing brief, informative entries on a variety of suicide prevention topics. We'll also be highlighting prevention in our weekly "By the Numbers" and "Research Update" posts.
- 29 August - A Conversation About Suicide by Libby Parins
- 5 September - Why...Why...Why? - Why Are Rates of Suicide in the National Guard So High? by Erin Frick
- 12 September - Means Safety - Does It Make a Difference? by Sharon Birman
- 19 September - Suicide Prevention: A Commitment to Stay Informed by April Thompson
- 26 September - The Chaplains-CARE Program: Preparing Navy Chaplains to Better Serve At-Risk Service Members by Lisa French
- 3 October - An Afterward to "The Hilliest Course I Ever Ran" by Carin Lefkowitz
Upcoming Training Opportunities:
This month we'll be offering several webinars and online workshops focused on suicide prevention and evidence-based practices. All of these events are open to the public, except for those with an asterisk (*). To register or for more information, click on any of the events below.
- CDP Presents: Suicide Survivorship - Applying TAPS Best-Practice Model to Support Military Families, Veterans and Clinicians via Zoom 6 September 2018
- Addressing Suicidal Behavior in the U.S. Military: Strategies for Assessment, Crisis Intervention, and Treatment via Second Life 6-7 September 2018
- CDP Presents: Suicide Prevention for Veterans with Other Than Honorable Discharges via Zoom 13 September 2018
- Addressing Suicidal Behavior in the U.S. Military: Strategies for Assessment, Crisis Intervention, and Treatment, Massachusetts National Guard 17-18 September 2018*
- CDP Presents: Achieving the Promise of Suicidality Interventions: What Do We Know and How Do We Use It? via Zoom 20 September 2018
- CDP Presents: Lethal Means Safety Counseling to Reduce Suicide Risk via Zoom Connect 27 September 2018
- Addressing Suicidal Behavior in the U.S. Military: Strategies for Assessment, Crisis Intervention, and Treatment, Naval Medical Center San Diego 18-19 October 2018*
- Suicide Prevention: A four-part evidence-based workshop via Zoom 25 October, 1 November, 8 November and 15 November 2018*
- Addressing Suicidal Behavior in the U.S. Military: Strategies for Assessment, Crisis Intervention, and Treatment via Zoom 4-5 February 2019