Throughout September, the CDP will be observing Suicide Prevention Month and has events planned to raise awareness. In addition to our existing resources on suicide prevention, in the coming weeks, look for weekly blogs on various aspects of suicide prevention.
We're also offering multiple live online training opportunities this month, including a free 90-minute webinar and a two-day training event. These are listed below and on our Upcoming Training Calendar. We hope that you will return to our site several times during the month to check out all of the content we'll be rolling out!
|Risk Factors||Safety Planning||Myths & Facts||Suicide Rates|
During the month, CDP staff will be contributing brief, informative entries on a variety of suicide prevention topics.
11 September - A Review of 'Beginning to Heal'
18 September -
Committed... Succeeding... Failed: Shifting How We Talk About Suicide
25 September - Uniting for Post-Vention
2 October - Counting the Uncounted: Why Don't We Know More About Military Spouses and Suicide?
Previous blog entries
- A Conversation About Suicide by Libby Parins
- Why...Why...Why? - Why Are Rates of Suicide in the National Guard So High? by Erin Frick
- Means Safety - Does It Make a Difference? by Sharon Birman
- Suicide Prevention: A Commitment to Stay Informed by April Thompson
- The Chaplains-CARE Program: Preparing Navy Chaplains to Better Serve At-Risk Service Members by Lisa French
- An Afterward to "The Hilliest Course I Ever Ran" by Carin Lefkowitz
CDP Presents Webinars:
In addition to the new webinar this month (Firearms and Suicide - What Do We Know and What Can We Do?), we have several relevant recordings of previous webinars available. Click below to watch any of the 90-minute presentations.
- Suicide Prevention - The Lost Art of Case Conceptualization
- Lethal Means Safety Counseling to Reduce Risk
- Achieving the Promise of Suicidality Intervention
- Suicide Prevention for Veterans with Other than Honorable Discharges
- Means Restriction and Talking to Suicidal Veterans About Firearms
- Suicide Risk Assessment
- Veteran Suicide Data and Prevention Programs
- The Safety Planning Intervention for Reducing Suicide Risk
Upcoming Training Opportunities:
All this fall we'll be offering webinars and online workshops focused on suicide prevention and evidence-based practices. The events marked with an asterisk (*) are military-only. To register or for more information, click on any of the events below.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Suicide Prevention via Second Life 10-11 September 2019
- CDP Presents: Firearms and Suicide - What Do We Know and What Can We Do? 12 September 2019. Recording available
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Suicide Prevention, Joint Base Andrews, MD 10-11 October 2019*
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Suicide Prevention, San Diego NMC, CA 31 October-1 November 2019*
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Suicide Prevention, Portsmouth NMC, VA 6-7 November 2019*
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Suicide Prevention via Zoom 14-15 January 2020