June is PTSD Awareness Month. While this topic is important at the Center for Deployment Psychology year-round, we will be providing special emphasis on the subject of PTSD during June.
Throughout the month, CDP is hosting numerous events and posting several features and tools regarding the assessment and treatment of PTSD, including blogs, webinars, training events, and PTSD-specific infographics.
Click on the icons below or scroll down to find resources to expand your knowledge and skills to treat PTSD effectively, serving those who have served.
PTSD-RELATED TRAINING EVENTS
CDP offers numerous events throughout the year to help train providers to assess for and treat PTSD. In June, we will be offering even more opportunities for providers to increase their knowledge and skills.
To register or for more details on any of these events, click on the links below!
4 June 2020 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. ET: Assessing Military Clients for Trauma and Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
4 June 2020 12:00 - 1:30 ET: CDP Presents: An Introduction to Written Exposure Therapy for PTSD: A Brief Treatment Approach
10-11 June 2020, 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. ET: Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT)
24-25 June, 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. ET: Prolonged Exposure Therapy (PE)
|Anger and Aggression||Myths About Trauma-Focused Treatment||PTSD and Nightmares||VA-DoD Guidelines|
3 June: A Conversation with Wyatt Evans, Ph.D. about Moral Injury, PTSD, and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy by Dr. Andy Santanello
In addition, we also have numerous existing blog entries on the subject, including:
- Mindfulness for PTSD? Maybe It's Best to Sit on the Fence...For Now - Dr. Andrew Santanello discusses Mindfulness for PTSD, including the pros and cons.
- Treating Post-Traumatic Nightmares - Nightmares are a common occurrance in the wake of traumatic events. Dr. Diana Dolan provides some suggestions on how to help clients with this issue.
- Addressing Anger in PTSD Treatment - Laura Copland writes about effective ways of managing anger during PTSD treatment.
- PTSD and Spirituality - Dr. Kimberly Copeland talks about how spirituality can aid in the process of recovery from Moral Injury associated with combat-related PTSD
- CPT Session Notes:This series of brief videos reviews the key agenda items and interventions for each session in the CPT protocol. These videos are designed to complement the CPT manual
- PE Metaphor Bank: Metaphors are frequently used in Prolonged Exposure Therapy to explain the concepts involved. The concepts of exposure and habituation can feel unnatural and counter-intuitive to many people. Metaphors can be a useful tool to help frame these and other concepts for patients. (Best accessed via Firefox or Internet Explorer browsers)
- CPT Metaphor Bank: Our CPT Metaphors Bank is designed to be used by behavioral health providers who deliever CPT. Our CPT Subject Matter Experts model several of the most common metaphors utilized when delivering CPT.
- EBP Videos: Watch therapists demonstrate many of the techniques discussed in CDP's training events.
- EBP Resources: This page contains links, videos, downloads and many other tools to help providers effectively deliver EBPs.
- Consultation: CDP offers consultation services for providers who have completed an EBP workshop through the CDP. Learn more about this important service here.
- Second Life PTSD Experience: Based in Second Life, CDP's Virtual PTSD Learning Center immerses the learner in experiential learning about PTSD diagnosis, assessment, and effective treatments. The climax of the experience is the role playing game Operation AVATAR where the learner takes on the role of a Service Member with PTSD, experiencing simulations of his index trauma, PTSD symptoms after redeployment, and his functioning after completing effective treatment.
Below is a curated list of recordings from various PTSD-related webinars that the CDP has offered in the past. For a complete list, you can click here to visit our webinar archive.
- CDP Presents: PTSD, Resilience, and Post-Traumatic Growth in Service Members and Veterans - Originally presented 6 November 2019
- CDP Presents: Understanding and Managing Anger and Aggression in PTSD - Originally presented 26 June 2019
- CDP Presents: Helping Patients with PTSD-Related Nightmares - Originally 19 June 2019
- CDP Presents: Trauma-Informed Intimate Partner Violence Treatment in Military and Veteran Populations - Originally presented 12 June 2019
- CDP Presents: Beyond PTSD - Grief-informed Treatment After Trauma - Originally presented 5 June 2019
- CDP Presents: Prevention and Treatment of Remote Combat Stress - Originally presented 16 May 2019
- CDP Presents: Comparing & Contrasting Conceptualization & Treatment of PTSD from the Perspectives of Social Cognitive and Emotional Processing Theories - Originally presented 27 June 2018
- CDP Presents: Chickens & Eggs - Treatment Order in Cases of Co-Morbid PTSD and Insomnia - Originally presented 21 February 2017
- CDP Presents: Clinician Administered PTSD Scale for DSM-5 (CAPS-5) - An Overview - Originally presented 8 April 2015
- CDP Presents: Reconceptualizing Resilience and Growth in the Wake of Trauma - Originally presented 21 June 2016
- CDP Presents: Challenges to EBP Implementation - Originally presented 29 June 2017