June is PTSD Awareness Month. While this topic is important at the Center for Deployment Psychology year-round, we will be providing special emphasis on the subject of PTSD during June.
Throughout the month, CDP is hosting numerous events and posting several features and tools regarding the assessment and treatment of PTSD, including blogs, webinars, training events, and PTSD-specific infographics.
Click on the icons below or scroll down to find resources to expand your knowledge and skills to treat PTSD effectively, serving those who have served.
PTSD-RELATED TRAINING EVENTS
CDP offers numerous events throughout the year to help train providers to assess for and treat PTSD. In June, we will be offering even more opportunies for providers to increase their knowledge and skills. As part of CDP's partnership with the National Center for PTSD, 6-8 June we will be in Helena, MT to offer a free training on Prolonged Exposure to help make evidence-based treatments for PTSD more available to Veterans in rural areas. In addition to our two-day online EBP on Prolonged Exposure (PE) Therapy training, we will have a free, weekly series of 90-minute webinars on a variety of topics associated with PTSD. Additionally, there will be a four-hour workshop designed to instruct providers on a method for screening, assessment, and treatment outcome monitoring of PTSD centered on the use of the PTSD Checklist for DSM-5 (PCL5). At the end of the month, we will also be offering a training on "Serving Student Veterans on Campus". While this training is not specifically on PTSD, it will be discussed and covered in the event's curriculum.
To register or for more details on any of these events, click on the links below!
6 June: Assessment and Treatment of PTSD Using Prolonged Expsure Therapy, Helena MT
11 June: Assessing Military Clients for Trauma and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Online via Zoom
19 June: CDP Presents: Helping Patients with PTSD-Related Nightmares Online via Zoom - Recording coming soon!
20-21 June: Online Prolonged Exposure (PE) Training Online via Second Life
25 June: Serving Student Veterans on Campus Online via Zoom
26 June: CDP Presents: Understanding and Managing Anger and Aggression in PTSD Online via Zoom - Recording coming soon!
|Anger and Aggression||Myths About Trauma-Focused Treatment||PTSD and Nightmares||VA-DoD Guidelines|
In addition to the numerous existing blog entries we've got on the subject, this month will include four new blogs on PTSD.
- Mindfulness for PTSD? Maybe It's Best to Sit on the Fence...For Now - Dr. Andrew Santanello discusses Mindfulness for PTSD, including the pros and cons.
- Treating Post-Traumatic Nightmares - Nightmares are a common occurrance in the wake of traumatic events. Dr. Diana Dolan provides some suggestions on how to help clients with this issue.
- Addressing Anger in PTSD Treatment - Laura Copland writes about effective ways of managing anger during PTSD treatment.
- PTSD and Spirituality - In our final PTSD-focused blog of the month, Dr. Kimberly Copeland talks about how spirituality can aid in the process of recovery from Moral Injury associated with combat-related PTSD
- PE Session Notes: PE Session Notes are quick, just-in-time reviews of the major segments of each session of PE. New PE therapists may find it helpful to review just before seeing a client the first few times they do a particular PE session.
- CPT Session Notes:This series of brief videos reviews the key agenda items and interventions for each session in the CPT protocol. These videos are designed to complement the CPT manual
- Metaphor Bank: Metaphors are frequently used in Prolonged Exposure Therapy to explain the concepts involved. The concepts of exposure and habituation can feel unnatural and counter-intuitive to many people. Metaphors can be a useful tool to help frame these and other concepts for patients. (Best accessed via Firefox or Internet Explorer browsers)
- EBP Videos: Watch therapists demonstrate many of the techniques discussed in CDP's training events.
- EBP Resources: This page contains links, videos, downloads and many other tools to help providers effectively deliver EBPs.
- Consultation: CDP offers consultation services for providers who have completed an EBP workshop through the CDP. Learn more about this important service here.
- Second Life PTSD Experience: Based in Second Life, CDP's Virtual PTSD Learning Center immerses the learner in experiential learning about PTSD diagnosis, assessment, and effective treatments. The climax of the experience is the role playing game Operation AVATAR where the learner takes on the role of a Service Member with PTSD, experiencing simulations of his index trauma, PTSD symptoms after redeployment, and his functioning after completing effective treatment.
Below is a curated list of recordings from various PTSD-related webinars that the CDP has offered in the past.
- CDP Presents: Comparing and Contrasting Conceptualization and Treatment of PTSD from the Perspectives of Social Cognitive and Emotional Processing Theories - Originally presented 27 June 2018
- CDP Presents: Chickens & Eggs - Treatment Order in Cases of Co-Morbid PTSD and Insomnia - Originally presented 21 February 2017
- CDP Presents: Clinician Administered PTSD Scale for DSM-5 (CAPS-5) - An Overview - Originally presented 8 April 2015
- CDP Presents: Reconceptualizing Resilience and Growth in the Wake of Trauma - Originally presented 21 June 2016
- CDP Presents: Challenges to EBP Implementation - Originally presented 29 June 2017